The Johnson Metall Story
Johnson Metall was founded by Åke Johnson in 1940 in Örebro, Sweden. The company was incorporated under the name Å. Jonssons Gjuteri & Metallfabrik. This name was first changed in 1944 to AB Johnson-Verken and then in 1954 to our current name, Johnson Metall AB. From the very beginning the company focused on the casting and machining of bronze alloys. Today’s main products, plain bearings, were made from the outset. Ford was the first customer.
Just a year after it was established, the company moved to its current location in Örebro. Johnson Metall grew rapidly and expanded its operations both in terms of products and markets. By the early 1970s, Johnson Metall had operations in all the Nordic countries as well as in Mexico. At the time, it also manufactured aluminum parts (Charlottenberg) and pumps (Johnson Pump). In 1976, Åke Johnson sold the part of his life’s work that today makes up Johnson Metall to Incentive.
Johnson Metall has since changed hands several times. Gränges Metallverken, Outokumpu and Hexagon have each in turn owned the company at different times between 1980 and 2007. Since 2007, Johnson Metall is now a part of Johnson Metall Group, whose principal shareholder is Norvestor Equity. The group, whose headquarters is in Örebro, conducts operations in Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark.